Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blog Assignment # 3

After viewing the What is Peer Editing? video and Peer Edit with Perfection slideshow, I learned that there was little that I knew about peer editing. For starters, I had no idea that peer editing is only done by people your age. I always knew what "peer" meant but for some reason it never clicked. Through these resources, I learned that you should always begin your peer review with compliments on another's work. It can be things as simple as agreeing with their views on a subject. The next, thing you should do is suggest ways in which the other person can improve on their work. Lastly, you should make any corrections on any errors, such as spelling and grammar. This is the order presented in the video as well as the slideshow. However, I feel the last two go hand in hand, and in some instances can be interchangeable.

How you choose to make a person aware of any mistakes or errors in their work should be taken very seriously. One must remember that no one is perfect and pointing out a persons imperfections can some times cause them to become defensive, as demonstrated in the video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. I feel as though simple mistakes, that are common among most everyone, can be corrected publicly. However, those mistakes that could potentially embarrass a person, should be handled in a more private matter. I feel that after watching each one of these presentations I will be able to become a better peer reviewer.

girl looking through magnifying glasses

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job on summarizing and telling about how you believe you should make the corrections known to the person. I definitely agree with your view. The only thing I noticed is that you need to make the names of the videos and slideshows in your post clickable, so they can be visited. You can find the instructions on how to do so and the code in the instruction manual. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I as well had no idea that peer reviewing was done by people your age and like you, it never clicked with me 'till now.

    Besides the comment Brittany made about making the videos clickable, I noticed one spelling error on the bottom line with the word "theses". Other than that it was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "However, those mistakes that could potentially embarrass a person, ..." How do you know what could potentially embarrass a person"? Everything?

    ReplyDelete