Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blog Post # 14

EDM 310 has presented its share of challenges. Many of them I have overcome with a little guidance. However, there is one assignment that still haunts me. Lesson planning. People keep saying that it will take having my first real life classroom to get the hang of it. Now I know that practice is key to success but why do we have to go into a classroom blind when it comes to lesson planning. Dr. Strange has given assignments where we try to create our own lesson plans. I suggest that there be as assignment that lets us learn go about the lesson planning process. The students will not actually be making a lesson plan. They will view the resources provided and write a blog post about what they found useful in creating their own lesson plans.

Head with thought bubbles

First the students should be assigned to watch a video...

Here is a list of some I found
Making a Lesson Plan
Writing a Lesson Plan: Objectives and Goals
Lesson Planning

Then have the students view the Wiki...
How to Make a Lesson Plan

Finally have the students write a blog about what they felt would be useful in making a lesson.

I feel that this will be helpful because it will give the students an idea of where to start before being asked to make one of their own. I understand that this will not give them the ability to make a perfect lesson plan the first time, but I know from experience it would have been helpful for me to see a how to so I would not be so lost. I spent more time trying to figure out the first step I should take than I did actually making the lesson.

2 comments:

  1. You are correct. I believed that Thom Markham covered all of that in his book. And he does, but it is not an in your face presentation of how to do a learning plan. I will revise next semester. This is the type of experimentation I do in summer semesters since they are smaller and therefore experiments that are not perfect do not affect as many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking Chasity,

    I like this idea and it is a very important one. Lesson planning is hard. It isn't easy, and everyone makes them differently. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete